Our attorneys help the injured in Chicago, Oak Park and all of Illinois
If you suffered harm because of an accident or injury, or a loved one was injured or killed, you may be entitled to receive economic recovery from those who were at fault. This can be for anything from car accidents to airplane accidents, slip and fall accidents, burn injuries and other property accidents. Damages, or monetary compensation, may be awarded by an Illinois court to family members in a wrongful death lawsuit.
We understand that no amount of money can bring back a loved one who was killed or restore the ability to walk for someone who is paralyzed. Damages, however, can help pay for the real financial costs of the injury. Depending on the circumstances, you may be entitled to receive compensation for economic losses, such as lost wages or medical expenses. Damages also can cover non-financial losses such as pain and suffering.
- What types of compensation are available to personal injury victims?
- Chicago personal injury cases
- Oak Park personal injury cases
- Should I file a personal injury lawsuit?
Some of the most common types of damages include:
- Pain and suffering: While there’s no absolute means of measuring pain and suffering, a court can compensate an injury victim for the physical pain and mental anguish they endure because of an injury.
- Disability: Compensation for an injured person’s disability or “Loss of a Normal Life” is intended to make up for the injury’s effect on his or her life, lifestyle, and activities.
- Disfigurement: Scars, amputations, deformed body parts, skin color changes, and permanent loss of hair are examples of disfigurement. Damages for disfigurement can also include compensation for obvious changes in the way an injured person’s body moves, like limping or unnatural movement because of an injury.
- Loss of earnings: If you are unable to return to work, you may be able to recover damages for lost wages, including the value of the benefits you earned as part of your job. These damages include the wages you would have received if you had never been injured.
- Loss of consortium: Serious injuries such as traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury, or chronic pain conditions, may affect an individual’s intimate relationship with a spouse (sexual relations, material services, companionship and happiness). Our attorneys can help evaluate loss of consortium and help you get the compensation you deserve.
- Loss of society: Loss of society damages are intended to compensate family members of someone who passed away in wrongful death cases, to help make up for the loss of the relationship because of another person’ negligence.
- Grief and sorrow: Damages for grief and sorrow may be recovered in wrongful death cases, where the death of a loved one causes a significant emotional effect on the survivor family member.
- Medical expenses: Compensation for hospital stays, visits to doctor’s office, ongoing and future medical care, medications and prescriptions, and physical therapy, among other expenses.
<Back to Top>
Chicago personal injury cases
Whether you live in Chicago, you’re visiting the city or you commute here for work, you run the risk of sustaining an injury in an accident because of someone’s careless behavior. Car accidents happen every day on the city’s roads and highways, from Bueno Park to Logan Square. You must drive defensively when you’re using the Kennedy or Dan Ryan Expressways. Property accidents, boating accidents and parking lot accidents can lead to various serious injuries, including a traumatic brain injury or a spinal cord injury, are all common. That’s why it’s important you have an experienced, knowledgeable Chicago personal injury lawyer on your side, standing up for your rights and making sure you get the compensation you rightfully deserve.
<Back to Top>
Oak Park personal injury cases
Located in the Chicago suburb of Oak Park, Coplan & Crane has a well-earned reputation for obtaining large, often multi-million-dollar settlements and verdicts for families. We handle cases involving injuries and fatalities in Oak Park, IL. Personal injury claims can arise from any number of situations. You or a loved one may be in a car wreck on the Eisenhower Expressway while heading out of Oak Park toward Chicago. You may be rear-ended on Augusta Boulevard. The accident can happen while going to work or while heading to a performance at the Oak Park Festival Theatre.
<Back to Top>
Should I file a personal injury lawsuit?
Personal injury lawsuits are sometimes your best option for obtaining justice in your personal injury case. We understand that some people don’t want to file a personal injury lawsuit against someone else or a corporation. But this is your health we’re talking about, your financial stability. If someone did something to harm you, they should be held responsible. You shouldn’t be left paying the bill for their mistakes. That’s why personal injury victims file lawsuits – to hold people accountable for their actions.