Hurt in an underride crash? Get an Oak Park truck accident attorney
Underride truck accidents often result in serious injury or death, and if you or a loved one are the victim of an underride truck crash, the Oak Park truck accident lawyers from Coplan & Crane can demand justice and hold the responsible driver accountable.
An underride accident occurs when a car slides underneath the trailer of a semi-truck and gets stuck underneath, often sheering the car’s windshield off and crushing the front end. These types of accidents happen for a lot of different reasons, but sometimes they take place because of a truck driver’s mistake or negligence.
If you’ve been injured in an underride truck crash in Oak Park, the trusted truck accident attorneys from our Oak Park legal team can investigate the details of your case and explain your legal options. You may be entitled to compensation. Contact our Oak Park law firm today for a free consultation.
Oak Park’s injured can count on our dedicated truck crash lawyers
When a car gets trapped underneath a big rig’s trailer, the results are usually devastating. Crash victims who survive underride truck accidents often suffer from serious injury, including:
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Head, neck and back injuries
- Lacerations and contusions
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis
- Damage to internal organs
- Fractured or broken bones
- Severed limbs
The injuries a crash victim sustains in an underride accident are often life-changing and debilitating. To add insult to injury, an insurance company may try to pressure you in to accepting a settlement offer that doesn’t even come close to covering all your accident-related expenses. Don’t settle for less. Our Oak Park truck accident attorneys have experience handling insurance companies and know what it takes to get you compensation to cover your medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
Truck accident lawyers who demand answers from reckless truck drivers
A lot of truck crashes in Oak Park happen due to driver error or negligence, and underride truck accidents are no exception. Some common causes of underride truck accidents include:
- Driver negligence: A truck driver may have been distracted while operating the tractor-trailer, speeding, driving while fatigued, driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or simply wasn’t careful enough when checking blind spots. In any case, the driver was being negligent and should be held responsible by an experienced Oak Park truck accident attorney.
- Braking too fast: Large 18-wheelers often need a lot of distance to come to a complete stop. If the truck driver was speeding and then suddenly slammed the truck’s brakes, a car traveling behind the big rig may end up underneath the truck’s trailer, even if the car wasn’t following too closely.
- Improper turns: Maneuvering a tractor-trailer through turns is a skill all truck drivers must learn and master to avoid an accident. If a truck driver makes an improper turn by turning too widely or failing to signal, a side impact with another vehicle might occur. If you were injured because a big rig made an improper turn, the truck crash lawyers from our Oak Park law firm can help.
- Poor truck maintenance: Truck drivers are required to keep their 18-wheelers regularly maintained for their own safety and the safety of other drivers on the road. Something that may not seem critical like checking to make sure all the truck’s lights are functioning can be the difference between having an accident or not having an accident. If a big rig’s brake lights or turn signals are out, unsuspecting drivers are at risk.
- Faulty underride guards: A lot of 18-wheelers are equipped with underride guards, which are designed to prevent cars from sliding underneath the semi-truck’s trailer in an accident. Sometimes the underride guards don’t work due to being defective or broken, and a car still ends up underneath the truck’s trailer.
The truck accident lawyers from our Oak Park legal team have experience dealing with underride truck crashes and know the different ways a truck driver’s error or negligence can cause such a horrific accident. If you or a loved one were injured in an underride accident, the Oak Park truck crash attorneys from Coplan & Crane can help you get the compensation you deserve. We win for those who have lost. Contact our Oak Park law firm today for a free consultation.